Sunday, January 25, 2009

Legacy of Laughter

Tim and Pam's son, Zac

Olivia

Tim's daughter, Lindsey (in the background) and Nana (in the front)

Thank you to everyone for keeping our family in your hearts and prayers.Uncle Tim passed away on January 20, 2009. The viewing was Thursday the 22 and funeral on the 23rd. Brent, Seth, Olivia, and I made the trip to Blossom, TX on Thursday. Gathering for the loss of a loved one is always a reflective and sad time, but it also allows the family to celebrate one another. We always end up finding the laughter that our loved one would want us to hang on to. And in this case, I definitely feel that a legacy of laughter was left behind.

Brent

Abigail and Makayla stayed at home with Alex because they both had school on Friday and Alex had to go into the office. I didn't get to see the girls until Saturday morning because I got home after they were in bed on Friday night. They were glad to see me and Livi. Abi began to talk a lot about cards and things that she had made for Uncle Tim. She prayed for him everytime she got the opportunity as well. I hadn't told the girls about him passing because they have a hard time dealing with situations like this. Their grandmother that had them before us had fallen one time and they witnessed the ambulance coming and taking her away. They were traumatized by it all. I am sure they didn't have anyone to reassure them she would be alright or to explain what was going on. So for the longest time,they would both become upset at seeing emergency lights on the highway or hearing sirens.
That's why I didn't tell them a lot about Uncle Tim. I just told them he was sick and left it at that. They did not know that I was leaving to go to his funeral and I wasn't sure how to handle it.
Saturday night,after her bath, I was sitting with Abi and fixing her hair. She began to ask questions about how people sleep in hospitals and I knew she was greatly concerned about Tim. So, I explained about IV's and then approached it like this: I told her that she didn't have to worry about Uncle Tim anymore because he wasn't in the hospital and didn't have IV's anymore. I told her that he got to go see Jesus. I told her about Pepaw and how they got to be together now. I told her that I wanted to get to see Tim, Pepaw, and Jesus someday too. And she said, "And he sees God too?" I answered yes, and the biggest smile crossed her face. She jumped on me to give me a hug and it seemed to ease her worries completely. She was genuinely happy. And God gave me the ability to tell her this without crying (those of you that know what a bawl bag I am understand what a great feat that was).
I told her how thankful I was that she had such a caring heart and God was proud of her for that. Ahhhh, kids. They are so refreshing at times.

No comments: