Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beach Babies

Yesterday we went to a bay in Fairhope. It was a nice spot to take the kids. There was lots of sand and not many people around. The waves were a lot calmer, pretty much non existant. It was a lot like going to the lake. We had a good time and Olivia was even brave enough to go out into the water. Sea gulls and geese were all around.

After the beach trip we went to Wal Mart to pick up a few things. Olivia started acted really whiney and clingy. By the time we got back to the room, she had a fever. She complained of a sore throat and by around 5:00 pm she was vomitting too. She has had these exact same symptoms every month for the last four or five months now. She always is diagnosed with strep throat. I called our pediatrician's office back home and the receptionist wouldn't even let me speak to a nurse. I was stressing out. I couldn't even finish talking to her because I was starting to cry. I just hung the phone up and began to frantically look for a pediatric clinic here in Alabama. I finally found a clinic that stayed open until 6:30. I loaded up the girls and towel for Olivia in case she threw up again. I put the address into our navigation system and it couldn't find it. So I put the address into my iPhone and it pulled up directions. I drove and ended up in a subdivision. So I called the clinic and the lady gave me directions. BUT, I am not familiar with street names and wasn't able to locate the clinic. We drove for about an hour and at 6:30, I gave up trying to find it.

After venting on facebook, a friend (thanks again, Danya) recommended calling medical exchange at Olivia's primary care doctor's office. I did and they called in a prescription for her right then! The pharmacy was closed by this time so we fought the fever and vomitting all night. We went to pick up her prescription today and she is still not doing very well right now. I have been trying not to give her ibuprofen because she has surgery scheduled for the 19th and she isn't supposed to have it 10 days before. I broke down and gave her some tonight because she is so miserable. Tylenol doesn't work well with getting her fevers down.

So, we have been inside today. I have cooked a lot and done some laundry. I sure did enjoy our day yesterday at the beach!

I hope you all have a great time at the many fireworks shows and family get togethers that are going on this weekend. We wish you all the best and hope to have better health to report next time!


Danya said...

Poor baby girl. I'm glad I could help at least a little and I hope she gets to feeling better soon. I know it was night to day when my nephew had his tubes in and tonsils and adenoids out. Hope you guys have a great holiday!

Nanna Nette said...

So sorry you are having such a rough time! Hoping Livi is better today and you can get back home safely.