Monday, December 26, 2011

an expected surprise turns unexpected

My mom had a birthday on December 2nd.
I had decided several months prior to that I wanted to have a surprise party for her.
She was turning 50 and thought a big deal should be made about that.
I also had decided that I wanted it to be a fun time for her rather than a gloom and doom, black roses, casket, and "over the hill" affair.

I enlisted the help of my brother and his bride-to-be.
She did a great job decorating!
Mom's favorite colors are lavendar and mint green.
I ordered a cake for her from Ambrosia Bakery in Hot Springs.


Rachel did an amazing job decorating.




Waiting for the special guest to arrive.
The birthday girl's special chair.

All 50 candles!

A lot of planning went in to this event on the part of my dad as well. He had to try to convince my mom to go out with him and somehow get her to the restaurant. He had initially told me that he would handle it. I told him that I would call and ask mom if she wanted to go to dinner with all of us for her birthday but he insisted that he could get her there. He said he would call her last minute and ask her to go out to eat. And in reality, he had a hard time figuring it all out. He asked her numerous times through out the week what she wanted to do for her birthday (which put her radar on full alert because it was out of character). She told her co-workers that she knew her family was up to something. She didn't know what exactly, but knew there was something going on. I was glad that she had no idea exactly what I had been up to. I was able to get some of her old and new coworkers as well as some of her best friends that she hadn't seen in a while to come surprise her. It thrilled me that they turned out for her! I had flashbacks to the surprise we pulled off when my cousin Todd came back from the war and none of our family knew.
I am very thankful that my mom has such amazing people in her life.


SURPRISE!






Sandy and Nette


My brother, Seth, and I.

The Whole Gang

Nana got a sock monkey that roots for the Razorbacks!

The girls were asked to help with the clean up.
They were a little too good at getting rid of the balloons.


We hope you had a great birthday, Nana! We had lots of fun planning it.
We look forward to many more years of surprises!

No comments: